This year, LP’s Labor & Employment attorneys tried something different with our annual “Employment Law Update” and hosted the program as a webinar. The new format allowed us to record this year’s program and make it available for all our blog friends, colleagues and clients who were unable to participate. LP labor and employment attorneys Peter Donati, Laura Friedel and Kenneth Kneubuhler highlighted recent updates in labor and employment law and tips to keep your workplace practices current.
To give you an idea of what topics are covered in this year’s “Employment Law Update” here are the topics we discussed:
•The impact of recent Supreme Court decisions on supervisor liability and the burden of proof for retaliation claims
• Trends involving arbitration agreements: Will they prevent class claims? Should your business be using them?
• Same sex marriage: How it affects employee rights under the FMLA and benefit plans
• Recent Illinois cases involving non-compete agreements. Will your agreements be enforceable when you need them?
• New developments at the National Labor Relations Board that affect both union and non-union workplaces
• How to properly use background checks to avoid scrutiny by the EEOC and avoid violating state laws
• Current wage and hour issues, including developments involving interns and independent contractors
• Other important state law trends, including laws on concealed weapons, medical marijuana, and social media passwords